Using mediation to resolve your divorce or other family law matter has many advantages over contested litigation. These benefits include the following:
- Mediation is typically less expensive than contested divorce litigation.
- Mediation allows you to have more control over the process. The process can move as quickly or slowly as it takes for the parties to arrive at a resolution.
- Contested litigation takes place in an open courtroom, and the proceeding, which usually involves private family circumstances,is a matter of public record. In mediation, the negotiations and private family circumstances are kept confidential.
- Parties who work together through mediation to arrive at a mutually acceptable divorce or other family law agreement are typically more satisfied after the matter is completed.
- Contested litigation is an adversarial process that many times destroys any good will that may exist between the parties. Mediation is a process where the parties work together to decide the issues and create solutions to those issues in a cooperative manner.
- The mediation process empowers the parties to formulate a comprehensive agreement that will best meet the unique needs of their family.